The Living Wellness team is excited to share a Guest Blog Post from the legal team at Schultz & Myers who, for over 10 years, have been helping people that have experienced personal injuries.
A personal injury can make you feel sad, angry, overwhelmed, and many other emotions. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may not be able to work or engage in your favorite activities.
While an injury is not a joyous event, it is something that you can begin to recover from with the right mindset. Many people who experience a personal injury turn to activities to fill the void left by injury. While you do need to take time to recover, certain activities can help speed up the process so you can get back to doing the things you love.
During your recovery, you may want to consider engaging in culinary therapy. Cooking may be stressful to some people, but to others, it’s truly therapeutic. There is a distinct link between cooking and recovery, let's explore the benefits:
Benefits of Cooking
- Cooking offers many benefits for people who are recovering from an injury or illness. For one, cooking can facilitate mindfulness. It allows you to focus on one step at a time. From food preparation to cooking to serving, the various steps involved help take the focus off your injury by allowing you to do something productive. Take mindfulness to the next level and incorporate mindful eating into the actual eating of the food you've prepared.
- Cooking also boosts self-esteem, which you may be lacking after an injury. If you truly enjoy cooking and feel good about creating a delicious recipe, you’ll enjoy the praise you get from others who enjoy your meal.
- Cooking is also a nurturing act. If you are seriously injured and unable to work, you may not be able to provide for your family. Being able to cook a delicious meal can make up for this. It gives injury victims a sense of purpose and brings about togetherness and intimacy.
- Cooking also helps you take care of yourself. Your body needs food, and there’s no better time to improve your lifestyle than after an injury. Take the time to learn nutritious recipes. You’ll boost your creativity and improve your mind and body at the same time.
Ready to get started with some culinary therapy, it starts with the ingredients! Check out these popular Living Wellness Blog posts for ingredients that will nourish your body:
- Veggies You Never Thought You'd Love series
Connecting this with Living Wellness
Living Wellness focuses on bringing together individuals and communities to live healthier and empowered lives. Living Wellness offers a specialized training, the Living Wellness Facilitator Training, which gives individuals the tools they need to serve as leaders of small groups called Growth Groups. As a facilitator, you guide and coach individuals through the eight-week, award-winning Living Wellness for Growth Groups study which focuses on nutrition, fitness, and faith. Following successful completion of this training, facilitators are equipped to support friends, small groups, personal training clients (for those individuals who have a person training certification), and communities on their wellness journey.
Growth Groups are small groups of up to 12 individuals who have decided to take the next step in their wellness, fitness, faith, or nutrition journey. These transformational groups include goal setting, mindful eating, stretching, exercise, daily videos, accountability, group discussion, journaling, and more. It’s a new and effective way to help one’s mind, body and soul become more balanced and interconnected.
By joining a growth group led by a certified Living Wellness Facilitator, you’ll reap many benefits. Some of those benefits may include weight loss, fitness knowledge including practical exercises you can complete at home, accountability, nutrition knowledge and a better connection between physical, spiritual, and emotional health. If you are interested in living a more abundant life, consider joining one of these Growth Groups!
In addition to the Living Wellness Facilitator Training and Growth Groups, Living Wellness LIVE is a fun, live audience show that includes interviews and relevant news on fitness, faith, and nutrition (plus delicious taste testing!). Click here to check out the Shop & Register page for an upcoming show! The Living Wellness Show is another new, professionally edited production that you can watch right from the comfort of your home. Check out the first episode here.
Whether you are recovering from an injury or illness, wanting to jumpstart your weightloss journey, or just part of your pursuit of a more abundant life, cooking & nutrition can be an important and effective tool that can help more you forward.
From the legal team at Schultz & Myers
With contribution from Caitlyn Hanson, Living Wellness Marketing Specialist
© 2018 Living Wellness, LLC Revolutionizing health, one community at a time.
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to diagnose or treat any illnesses or disease. Please always check with your doctor before beginning any new nutritional or fitness program or before making any nutritional/fitness changes.